How to Make Dog Treats and Dog Biscuitsby Susan Dorling
Dogs eagerly anticipate homemade goodies made with love and wholesome ingredients.
For dogs, homebaked treats are love at first smell, and the heavenly aroma of these yummy biscuits simply is irresistible. Breath-freshening and packed with wholesome ingredients, super-nutritious Sunflower & Herb Crunchies are a snap to make. Just one bite and you're sure to get rave reviews from your best friend.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Warm the flour in the oven for a few minutes. Remove flour from the oven when it's warmed through, and make a well in the center. Pour in the molasses, honey and water, and mix into a sticky dough. Cover the bowl and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Make a well in the center of the dough. Add the oil, dried herbs and sunflower seeds. Mix the dough thoroughly and shape into small balls. Sprinkle the baking sheet evenly with about a tablespoon of whole wheat flour. Place the balls of dough on the baking sheet and flatten with a fork to about 1/4-inch thickness.
Bake for about 40 minutes or until evenly browned. Cool and refrigerate. For extra crunchy and hard biscuits, flatten the balls to about 1/8-inch thickness and brush with beaten egg white. Bake for 40 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the biscuits in the oven overnight to dry out.
Video of the Day
- Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog; Wendy Volhard and Kerry Brown, D.V.M.
- Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats; Dr. Richard H. Pitcairn, D.V.M., Ph.D. and Susan Hubble Pitcairn
- The Organic Dog Biscuit Cookbook; Jessica Disbrow Talley and Eric Talley
- The Three Dog Bakery Cookbook; Dan Dye and Mark Beckloff
- Pupcakes; Stephanie Mehanna
- Digital Vision./Digital Vision/Getty Images
- Mixing bowl, oven-proof
- Food processor or mixing spoon
- Baking sheet
- 8 cups wholewheat flour
- 2 tablespoon of unsulfured molasses
- 2 tablespoons raw, organic honey
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 1/4 cup dried mint
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2-1/2 cups of lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 egg white (optional)
- These biscuits may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 7 days, if they last that long. This recipe makes a tasty, nutritious snack for humans, too.
- A combination of brown rice flour and oat flour may be substituted for the whole wheat flour if your dog is allergic to wheat or gluten. Keep unused portions in the freezer for quick and easy snacks.
- If your best friend is overweight, skip the treats for now, or feed only occasionally.
- Ensure your dog is not allergic to wheat, gluten or seeds before feeding treats made with whole wheat flour and sunflower seeds. If allergic, substitute wheat and gluten-free flours or omit the sunflower seeds.