How to Make a Floral Dog Collarby Deborah Lundin
"Forget the bandanna! I want some pretty flowers on my collar."
Dog collars don’t have to look drab and boring. Whether you are including your pooch in your wedding day or just want to dress her up a bit, you can make a floral dog collar out of real flowers or silks. For those last minute doggie dates, floral dog collar attachments only require a few steps to make. When you want to add that floral touch, putting them on only takes a minute.
Real Floral Collar
Measure around your dog’s neck with the measuring tape to determine the length you will need to make a collar. Add a few inches to this number to give you space to attach the two ends. Cut a piece of stem wire to this length.
Cut 6-inch pieces of stem wire in the same amount of floral pieces you will use. For example, if you choose 24 roses, cut 24 pieces of wire. Insert one end of the floral wire into the flower stem, just underneath the floral bloom. Push the wire halfway through and then bend to bring each end together. Wrap one end of the wire around the flower stem and other end of the wire. For greens, place the center of the wire piece against the stem of the greens. Wrap one end around the stem and other end of the wire. Repeat with each floral stem or greens.
Lay the first stem on top of your long piece of wire, about 2 inches from the end. Wrap the end of the floral stem to the long piece of wire with floral tape. Continue adding stems and wrapping until you reach the other end of the long wire, leaving 2 inches at the end.
Place the collar around your dog’s neck and fasten the two ends together. Once on, wrap the attaching section with floral tape to cover any possible sharp edges of wire.
Removable Floral Collar Attachments
Remove all the petals from a variety of silk flowers by pulling them off the stems. Cut a small circle of felt.
Glue petals from the silk flower on top of the felt, creating a floral shape as desired.
Measure out a piece of double-sided Velcro that will fit around your dog’s collar. Glue or sew the piece of Velcro onto the felt part of the flower. Once the glue has dried, attach the flower to your dog’s collar.
Video of the Day
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
- Measuring tape
- Assortment of flowers and greens
- Stem wire
- Stem tape
- Wire cutter
- Silk flowers
- Felt material
- Hot glue gun
- Double-sided Velcro
- Needle and thread (optional)
- Create an assortment of Velcro flowers for each holiday or special occasion. This creates your dog’s very own floral wardrobe.
- Use caution when using real flowers, especially if your dog is a chewer. Many flowers and plants are toxic to dogs. Talk to your veterinarian before using specific flowers or plants. If your dog is a chewer but you want specific flowers to match a special occasion, you can make a full floral collar with silk flowers. Cut the stems shorter and wrap them onto a piece of wire, similar to creating a real floral collar.