How to Make Puppy Milk Replacerby Elle Di Jensen
Five simple ingredients will make a nutritious milk replacer for puppies.
When you're expecting to hear the pitter-patter of puppy feet, the occasion typically is a joyous one. Unfortunately, there are times when Mama can't provide for her pups. Some dogs who deliver by cesarean section don't get their milk right away. Other times, Mommy may be unwilling to nurse her babies or, even if she is on board with the notion, she may not have enough milk. In such cases, you either can head to the pet supply or the vet's office to buy puppy formula, or you can whip up a batch of your own at home.
Pour the evaporated milk, egg yolks, yogurt and corn syrup into the blender and put the lid in place.
Turn the blender on at a low setting to mix the ingredients together.
Pour the water into the mixture in the blender and blend briefly again to mix thoroughly.
Video of the Day
- Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images News/Getty Images
- 1 14 ounce can of evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup water, boiled and cooled to room temperature
- Store the puppy formula in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Discard any unused puppy replacer after a week and mix up a new batch.
- Consult your vet about adding vitamins to the formula. They aren't always necessary, but vitamins can benefit underweight or sickly puppies.