How to Make Rubber Band Hair Bows for Dogsby Elle Di Jensen
You love those cute bows that the groomer puts in Mopsy's hair, but she doesn't have to go "bowless" between hair appointments. Even if you're not a do-it-yourselfer, those little rubber band hair bows are as easy to make as they are to fasten into tufts of your pooch's fur. All you need is ribbon in assorted colors and a package of small rubber bands you can get from a pet store. The process is so simple, you can make a different set of bows for Mopsy to wear every day of the week.
Cut a 6-inch length from the ribbon using the scissors and the tape measure.
Hold an end of the ribbon in each of your hands and cross the right end over the left end. This should create a loop in the middle of the ribbon with the ends crossed over each other to form an "X." Hold the ribbon in this shape by pinching the middle of the X between your thumb and forefinger.
Bring the center of the loop down to the crossed piece of ribbon to form a bow, using your free hand. Slide the center of the loop under your thumb to hold it in place with the crossed part of the ribbon.
Slide a rubber band under your thumb so that it's lying on top of the sections of ribbon you have pinched together. The free ends of the rubber band should loop out above and below the bow.
Turn your hand over so that the rubber band is under the ribbon and pass one free end of the rubber band through the other free end. Pull it tight and let it slip under your finger and thumb so that the rubber band is knotted around the ribbon, holding it into place in a bow shape.
Trim the ends of the ribbon with the scissors to make them even.
Items You Will Need
- Ribbon, 1/4 to 1/2-inch wide
- Small rubber bands
- Tape measure
- Cut the ends of the ribbon at an angle to keep them from unraveling.
- Cut the ribbon as long you want it: shorter for smaller bows or longer for larger bows.
- Use a crochet hook to pull one end of the rubber band through the other end if you find that the elastic is too small to work with easily.
- Glue beads or pom poms onto the center of the bow to hide the elastic if you want to, or just apply the embellishments as decoration for your bows.
- Jupiterimages/Stockbyte/Getty Images