How Many Pups Will a Teacup Chihuahua Give Birth To?by Susan Paretts
Teacup Chihuahua puppies are so small that they can fit into a teacup.
Some breeders refer to very small Chihuahuas as "teacup" or "toy" Chihuahuas because of their extremely small stature, usually around 2 to 4 pounds in size. While the average litter size of any Chihuahua is between two and five pups, smaller ones may give birth to between one and three.
What to Expect When Fidette's Expecting
Chihuahuas range in size from 2 to 6 pounds, according to the American Kennel Club. Teacup Chihuahuas are usually in the smaller range of this size, although they are not officially recognized as a separate breed by the AKC. While the average litter size for a Chihuahua is between two and five puppies, some have given birth to up to 10 puppies in a single litter. An AKC study of 15 dog breeds, including Chihuahuas, found that the smaller the physical size of the pooch, the fewer puppies she will give birth to. For this reason you can expect around one to three puppies in a litter of puppies from a small, 2- to 4-pound Chihuahua.
The Vet Knows Best
To get an idea of the size of your Chihuahua's litter, have your vet examine your expectant mother around 45 days into the pregnancy. At this point, your vet may be able to feel the puppies in the uterus and take X-rays to determine how many puppies she's expecting before she gives birth around two weeks later, recommends VeterinaryPartner.com.
Video of the Day
- Chihuahua Club of America: The Chihuahua Is A Chihuahua
- American Kennel Club: Chihuahua -- Breed Standard
- American Kennel Club: Breeder's Handbook: Variables That Influence Litter Size
- The Chihuahua Handbook; D. Caroline Coile
- Daily Mail Online: She's a Record Breaker! Coco the Chihuahua Gives Birth to an Astonishing 10 Pups
- VeterinaryPartner.com: Birthing Puppies
- GlobalP/iStock/Getty Images