Is a Pachysandra Poisonous to Dogs?by Amanda Williams
A trip to the vet to ensure that your dog is healthy after eating pachysandra is recommended, but not necessary.
The pachysandra plant, or Japanese pachysandra, is a common ground cover garden plant that is active during the spring and summer. In the springtime, the pachysandra produces small, white flowers. If you plant pachysandra in your garden or around your home, take comfort in knowing that this plant is not toxic to dogs if accidentally consumed in small amounts.
Common Symptoms of Plant Poisoning
Depending on the plant consumed by your dog, he may experience several different symptoms. Common plant poisoning symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, confusion, weakness, convulsions, abnormal heart rhythms, skin rash, difficulty swallowing and excessive drooling.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture and the University of California - Davis, pachysandra plants are not toxic to dogs. Despite pachysandra being classified as a safe plant, eating large amounts of it may be harmful to your dog. It is best to keep an eye on your dog when he is outside playing to prevent him from accidentally consuming garden plants and vegetation.
Video of the Day
- Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images