Sago palms (Cycas revoluta) are tropical plants that serve in landscapes and as houseplants. Despite their name, sago palms are not palm trees at all. They are similar to conifer and ginkgo trees. Sago palms contain cycasin, a chemical compound highly toxic to dogs. While all parts of the sago palm are toxic, the seed pods, or nuts, are the most toxic part of the plant.
What Happens After Ingestion
If your dog decides to chew on a sago palm plant or munch on a seed pod, symptoms may begin as soon as 15 minutes afterward. Initial symptoms include drooling, loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea. These symptoms are followed by weakness, seizures and tremors; severe liver failure may occur within 48 to 72 hours. Symptoms of liver failure include lethargy, fluid buildup in the abdomen, abdominal pain, jaundice and black tarlike stool. The prognosis for a dog after sago palm ingestion is poor, with only 50 percent of sufferers surviving after aggressive treatment.
Deborah Lundin is a professional writer with more than 20 years of experience in the medical field and as a small business owner. She studied medical science and sociology at Northern Illinois University. Her passions and interests include fitness, health, healthy eating, children and pets.