Plenty of dogs are naturally curious, which gets them into trouble. Many types of common plants are poisonous and even deadly to dogs. If your dog accidentally ingests a plant, you may need to act. Observe your dog for the common signs of plant poisoning and contact your veterinarian immediately.
Dogs who have consumed a poisonous plant will display signs such as nervousness, muscle tremors, excessive sweating, seizures, weakness, breathing complications, increased heart rate, stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea and coma. Different plants present different signs of illness. For example, consuming a mushroom will cause vomiting or bloody diarrhea, while cherries cause breathing problems or convulsions.
When to Call Your Veterinarian
If your dog has any of the symptoms of plant poisoning, call your veterinarian or visit an emergency veterinarian. If possible, be able to identify the plant and the amount of plant consumed, as well as how long ago the event occurred, so your vet can provide faster and more accurate treatment. If you are unsure of what plant your dog consumed, bring vomit or diarrhea expelled with you for testing.
Amanda Williams has been writing since 2009 on various writing websites and blogging since 2003. She enjoys writing about health, medicine, education and home and garden topics. Williams earned a Bachelor of Science in biology at East Stroudsburg University in May 2013. Williams is also a certified emergency medical technician.