Sweat Pea Poisoning in a Dogby Naomi Millburn
Lots of "everyday" plants are potentially toxic to canines, so take note.
Although the name "sweet pea" (Lathyrus latifolius and L. odoratus) sounds innocuous and lovely as can be, the family Fabaceae plants are actually toxic to various animals, including dogs. We're not talking the peas you eat at home; "sweet pea" is a flowering perennial vining legume plant. Sweet pea is more than one plant species; variants go by many names. Keep these plants far away from your pets. Dogs are curious creatures who don't hesitate to put their mouths on strange new things.
Sweet Pea Toxicity
Sweet pea plants have a component known as beta-aminopropionitrile, a compound. This exact component is the specific danger element in sweet peas for dogs. If your pooch for any reason takes in any part of one of these plants, it could trigger serious issues with both the musculoskeletal system and the brain.
If you have any worries that your cutie might have munched on a sweet pea plant, seek urgent veterinary assistance without hesitation. If your doggie is indeed experiencing sweet pea poisoning, you might pick up on signs such as fatigue, feebleness, seizures, uncontrollable shivering, and walking back and forth without a clear or obvious goal. In extreme scenarios, sweet pea poisoning in canines can sometimes lead to fatal results. If you think your dog might have eaten any element of a sweet pea plant, regardless of whether you notice any signs, get him into a veterinarian's care, pronto.
The intensity of the symptoms a pet experiences -- along with the severity of the toxicity in general -- generally depends on just how much he consumed. Larger portions of sweet pea plants frequently yield more serious results. Note, however, that even minimal intake can potentially be harmful. Never assume your dog ate too little of the plant for it to be hazardous. Always play it safe when it comes to your precious pooch's well-being and health.
A Sweet Pea by Many Other Names
Sweet pea isn't the only commonly used moniker for the Lathyrus latifolius sweet pea plant. If you ever spot a plant that is labeled as "everlasting pea" or "perennial pea," beware. Both of these plants are toxic members of family Fabaceae, and they are equally hazardous to dogs, horses and cats. The bottom line is to never allow any of your pets near any plants unless you're 100 percent of their safety. If your pets eat something you don't recognize as safe, your veterinarian is always only a phone call away.
Video of the Day
- ASPCA: Sweet Pea
- Blue Mountain Humane Society: Plants and Pets - Toxic Listing
- Pet Poison Helpline: Sweet Pea
- Poisonous Plants and Venomous Animals of Alabama and Adjoining States; Whit Gibbons, Robert R. Haynes and Joab L. Thomas
- Colorado Water Garden Society: Poisonous Plants Can Be a Hazard to Pets, Including Fish
- Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital: Toxic Plants
- Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp: Plant Toxins, Lathyrism
- Karl Weatherly/Photodisc/Getty Images