Rattlesnake bites aren't always venomous. When they are, you'll likely see your pup show noticeable symptoms. Despite the fact that certain symptoms can indicate a venomous bite, it's best not to wait for symptoms to appear.
A rattlesnake strike will leave one or two puncture wounds in your pup at the site of the bite. Swelling typically happens quickly; you'll likely see blood. Symptoms of a venom-induced bite can include wooziness, rapid panting, decreased breathing, drooling, lethargy, tremors, vomiting and seizures. You may see these signs soon after a bite happens or hours after. Not all bites inject venom.
What to Do
If you see a rattlesnake bite your pooch, do not wait for symptoms to appear. Get him to the vet or an animal hospital immediately, even if you aren't sure the snake was a rattler. If bleeding or swelling occurs, the faster your pup can be treated with antivenin the better are his chances of survival. WebMD advises carrying your dog after he's bitten -- the more energy your pup expends, the faster the venom absorbs into his bloodstream. Keep him calm.
Located in Pittsburgh, Chris Miksen has been writing instructional articles on a wide range of topics for online publications since 2007. He currently owns and operates a vending business. Miksen has written a variety of technical and business articles throughout his writing career. He studied journalism at the Community College of Allegheny County.