Teacup Yorkies vs. Teacup Chihuahuaby Susan Paretts
You won't mistake a teacup Yorkie for a teacup Chihuahua based on his looks alone.
Both teacup Yorkshire terriers and Chihuahuas are some of the littlest pups around. Although these pooches are both small in stature, each breed has unique characteristics, including the coat and appearance of the dogs to distinguish them from the other.
Small Size, Big Personalities
The term "teacup" is used by some breeders to refer to the smallest dogs of a particular breed, though these pups are not considered a separate breed from their larger counterparts. While full-size Yorkies can be as large as 7 pounds, most teacup-sized ones weigh from 3 to 4 pounds. Full-sized Chihuahuas can weigh up to 6 pounds, but teacup versions weigh between 2 and 3 pounds, making them slightly smaller than teacup Yorkies. Each of these breeds have spirited personalities for their size, but very different lineages. While the Chihuahua originated in Central America, the Yorkie's ancestors came from England.
Physical Appearance and Health
You'll find both short- and long-haired teacup Chihuahuas, but the teacup Yorkie only comes with a long, silky coat, according to the breed standards of the American Kennel Club. While Chihuahuas come in a variety of colors and patterns, the only acceptable colors for the Yorkie are blue and tan, although Yorkie puppies are born black and tan. The ears of a Chihuahua are large and erect, while those of a Yorkie are small and v-shaped. Due to their extremely small size, both teacup Chihuahuas and Yorkies are prone to a variety of medical issues not seen in the larger members of their respective breeds.
Video of the Day
- Chihuahua Club of America: The Chihuahua Is A Chihuahua
- The Chihuahua Handbook; D. Caroline Coile
- Chihuahuas: Everything about Purchase, Care, Nutrition, Behavior, and Training; D. Caroline Coile
- American Kennel Club: Chihuahua Breed Standard
- American Kennel Club: Yorkshire Terrier Breed Standard
- Tao of Puppies: How to Raise a Good Dog Without Really Trying; Krista Cantrell
- Dogster: Yorkshire Terrier Dogs
- KonstantinGushcha/iStock/Getty Images