Toxic Tropical Hibiscus & Dogsby Deborah Lundin
With a few exceptions, most hibiscus varieties are safe for your dog.
Hibiscus comes in a variety of plant types: annuals, perennials, shrubs and tropical plants. They are well-known for their brightly colored ornamental flowers. With the exception of a few varieties, most hibiscus plants are safe for your dog, according to veterinarian John Tegzes. Two hibiscus varieties, the rose of Sharon and the rose of China, are toxic to dogs.
Symptoms of Rose of Sharon Toxicity
The rose of Sharon and the rose of China are two hibiscus varieties that the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals lists as toxic to dogs. While the toxic agent is unknown, symptoms of ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, nausea and anorexia. If your dog eats one of these hibiscus varieties or experiences symptoms, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Video of the Day
- Medioimages/Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images