Yummy Dog Treat Recipeby Karen Curinga
Keep your best friend healthy with nutritious treats.
Although store-purchased treats are tasty, pet lovers know that nothing says love like a homemade treat. Dogs are ready for a treat anytime and anywhere, but it's our job to help our canine family member maintain his health and weight. Chef Jeffrey Floyd, department chair of Culinary Arts at The Art Institute of Virginia Beach, a branch of The Art Institute of Atlanta, created a yummy coconut cookie treat that your pooch will love and won't leave you feeling guilty.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined into a dough.
Roll the mixture into small 1-inch balls and place them on a greased or nonstick cookie sheet. Flatten each cookie to a 1/4-inch thickness.
Put the cookie sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown.
Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to sit until completely cooled. Then store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Video of the Day
- NA/Photos.com/Getty Images
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk (or coconut milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Cookie sheet, greased or nonstick
- If your pooch has health issues, check with your veterinarian before giving him any type of treat.
- Avoid giving your pet any treat that contains chocolate. It contains theobromine, a heart stimulant that can cause severe heart arrhythmias or seizures if consumed in large doses.