What Age Can Puppies Eat Homemade Treats?by Christy Ayala
Once your puppy is completely weaned at about 7 or 8 weeks, she'll get all the nutrition she needs from her puppy food. By this age she'll also enjoy the occasional treat. You can help ensure that your pup is getting only wholesome ingredients by making, or even baking, her treats yourself.
Homemade Treat Ideas
For a frozen treat your pup will love on a hot day, mix peanut butter and a little banana or vanilla yogurt, spoon it into ice cube trays and freeze. You can bake your own dog biscuits out of a mixture of flour or oats, a pinch of salt, some broth and an egg. To add a little flavor to your homemade dog treats, add in some bacon bits or even a bit of shredded cheese.
Puppies can start nibbling at solid foods as early as 3 or 4 weeks of age, according to the ASPCA website. Until your pooch has fully transitioned to puppy food, however, check with your vet before introducing treats.
- Cesar's Way: Recipe Ideas for Quick and Healthy Homemade Dog Treats Read more: http://www.cesarsway.com/dog-care/dog-nutrition/Recipe-Ideas-for-Quick-and-Healthy-Homemade-Dog-Treats#ixzz2aqbvDly7
- The Human Society of the United States: DIY Dog Treat: Peanut Butter Popsicles
- Cesar's Way: Dog Nutrition: A to Z
- ASPCA: Weaning
- Animal Dental Clinic: Puppy Dentistry
- ASPCA: Feeding Your Puppy
- Cesar's Way: How and When to Give Healthy Dog Treats Read more: http://www.cesarsway.com/dog-care/dog-nutrition/How-and-When-to-Give-Healthy-Dog-Treats#ixzz2arBV4u7d
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images