Is Amaryllis Harmful to Dogs?

by Pamela Miller
    The leaves, stem and bulbs of this plant can cause problems for your buddy.

    The leaves, stem and bulbs of this plant can cause problems for your buddy.

    Brand X Pictures/Stockbyte/Getty Images

    Though amaryllis is a beautiful flower blossoming with vivid pinks, reds and whites, it isn't a match for your beloved canine companion. Dogs who ingest the flower may suffer an array of problems and will need to be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. To be on the safe side, keep your amaryllis far from your dog's reach.

    Amaryllis has many aliases including Saint Joseph lily and naked lady. A dog who ingests an amaryllis may suffer depression, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, anorexia, tremors and may salivate more than normal. Phenanthridine alkaloids, which can be found in the leaves, stem and bulbs of an amaryllis, are toxic to our canine friends and can cause them to experience respiratory depression (slowed breathing) and hypotension, which is a drop in blood pressure. Seek veterinary care if you believe your dog has ingested the plant.

    Photo Credits

    • Brand X Pictures/Stockbyte/Getty Images

    About the Author

    Pamela Miller has been writing for health, beauty and animal health/welfare publications for seven years. Miller holds a Bachelor of Science in Organizational Communication from MTSU.

    Trending Dog Pet-Related House & Yard Care Articles

    Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!