Can a Dog Get Sick From Too Much Rawhide?

by Sarah Dray
    When in doubt, ban rawhides.

    When in doubt, ban rawhides.

    Ablestock.com/AbleStock.com/Getty Images

    It's not the amount of rawhide that's dangerous. In fact, according to North Central Animal Hospital, it's rawhide itself that can be a problem, even if you only give your dog a very small piece.

    No Oversight

    The first problem with rawhide is that there are no FDA regulations regarding its production. That's because rawhide is not considered pet food -- it's a byproduct -- so there's no control over what ingredients are used in its production. North Central Animal Hospital points out that mercury, pesticides and other dangerous chemicals have been found on rawhide.

    Other Dangers

    Aside from the chemical dangers associated with rawhide, there's one more potential risk. According to WebMD Pets, if your dog swallows a large piece of rawhide, this can result in a blockage as the piece becomes logged in the throat or intestines. This could lead to choking or it could require surgery. Small pieces can get stuck in the guts as well.

    Photo Credits

    • Ablestock.com/AbleStock.com/Getty Images

    About the Author

    Sarah Dray has been writing since 1996. She specializes in health, wellness and travel topics and has credits in various publications including "Woman's Day," "Marie Claire," "Adirondack Life" and "Self." She is also a seasoned independent traveler and a certified personal trainer and nutrition consultant. Dray is pursuing a criminal justice degree at Penn Foster College.

    Trending Dog Food Articles

    Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!