With a nose that is more than 10,000 times as perceptive to scent than your own, your dog can become irritated by smells that you might not notice. Strong fumes, such as those released by fresh paint, can cause health problems in some dogs.
Fumes created by solvents in paint can irritate your dog's respiratory tract as well as his eyes and stomach. In some cases the irritation may be mild, such as watery eyes and nausea, but in other cases it may be serious. For example, if your dog's immune system is weak, or if the fumes are especially strong, he may develop pneumonia. Even if you are using low-emission paint, it's best to keep your dog out of the room while painting. If he shows signs of illness, such as coughing and hacking after being exposed to paint fumes, contact your veterinarian.