Lily of the Valley Poisoning in Dogs

by Carlye Jones
Lily of the valley contains toxins that are dangerous for your pet.

Lily of the valley contains toxins that are dangerous for your pet.

Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images

Lily of the valley, or convallaria, is not a true lily like the Easter or Asiatic lily, but is still toxic to dogs, humans and other animals. If your dog chews on the plant or eats pieces of it, he can become seriously ill and should receive immediate veterinary treatment.

Lily of the Valley

While true lilies can cause kidney failure, the toxic components of lily of the valley affect your dog's heart. These components are called cardiac glycosides, and the symptoms they cause include irregular heartbeats, a slowed heart rate and seizures. Vomiting and diarrhea are the other symptoms of lily of the valley poisoning. The severity of the symptoms depends on many factors, including your dog's size and how much of the plant he ingested. Severe cases can result in death, however, so it's vital to contact your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your dog has chewed on or swallowed lily of the valley.

Photo Credits

  • Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images

About the Author

Carlye Jones is a journalist, writer, photographer, novelist and artisan jeweler with more than 20 years of experience. She enjoys sharing her expertise on home improvements, photography, crafting, business and travel. Her work has appeared both in print and on numerous websites.

Trending Dog Behavior Articles

Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!