If you’re not paying attention, or are in another room, you might not realize your dog needs to go outside. A doggy doorbell lets your dog signal his need loud and clear. Though you could just tie a bell to an old piece of string, an attractive doorbell serves as an alert as well as a touch of decor and a conversation starter.
Measure the distance from your doorknob to the height of your standing dog's nose. Double this number and you have the length of ribbon you'll need. For example, if you measure 18 inches to your dog's nose, you will need 36 inches of ribbon. For best appearance, the finished bell should be at least 16 inches long, even if your dog is taller; a length of 36 inches will accomplish this.
Choose sturdy, fabric ribbon of 1-inch width. Look for a fun design or bright color that complements your room's decor. Select an elastic scrunchie that matches the ribbon.
Loop your ribbon through the fabric scrunchie so the ribbon hangs evenly. The ribbon's patterned side should face outward.
Trim the ends of the ribbon with the pinking shears. This keeps the ribbon from fraying.
Sew a jingle bell onto the folded ribbon right below the scrunchie. Stitch through both layers of fabric, lining them up precisely.
Continue to sew bells onto the ribbon every 3 inches. Depending on the length of your ribbon, there should be at least six bells.
Use the scrunchie to hang the bell from the doorknob leading out to your dog's potty spot.
Items You Will Need
- Measuring tape
- 1-inch wide fabric ribbon
- Scrunchie in coordinating color
- Pinking shears
- 3/4-inch metal jingle bells
- Sewing needle and thread
- Teach your dog what the bell means by gently moving his nose or paw to tap it each time you take him outdoors. Praise him enthusiastically and immediately open the door. Most dogs will quickly associate jingling the bell with going outside and will start ringing the bells on their own.
- Keep jingle bells away from young children.
- Inspect your doggie doorbell periodically, and restitch any loosened bells.
- George Doyle/Stockbyte/Getty Images