Are Toadstools Dangerous to Dogs?

by Milton Kazmeyer
    Wild toadstools can be extremely dangerous to dogs.

    Wild toadstools can be extremely dangerous to dogs.

    Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images

    Your dog looks at the outdoors as a wonderland full of things to smell, chase and eat. Unfortunately, some of those things to eat can be dangerous, like poisonous toadstools. Many types of mushrooms are completely harmless to dogs, but you should always take precautions around these potentially lethal snacks nonetheless.

    Toadstools

    The chief danger with toadstools is that safe varieties can be extremely difficult to differentiate from poisonous varieties, and they can grow right next to each other. Poisonous toadstools can cause a variety of symptoms, ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to neurological effects and organ damage.

    Safety

    For your dog’s safety, you should keep him away from any mushrooms while you're out on walks together. Regularly check your yard, especially during rainy times of the year, for mushrooms. Removing these fungi before your dog has a chance to discover them is the best way to ensure his safety.

    Photo Credits

    • Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images

    About the Author

    Milton Kazmeyer has worked in the insurance, financial and manufacturing fields and also served as a federal contractor. He began his writing career in 2007 and now works full-time as a writer and transcriptionist. His primary fields of expertise include computers, astronomy, alternative energy sources and the environment.

    Trending Dog Food Articles

    Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!