How to Build a Temporary Dog Kennel for a Mother & Her Puppiesby Deborah Lundin
Whether you are trying to keep a mother and her pups separate from a yard full of others, or you are just looking for a way to keep a litter secure, a temporary kennel is your solution. A variety of types of materials exist for such kennels, and you can buy prefabricated ones at stores. An old standard, chain-link fencing, is a standard for a reason. With chain-link panels and a few friends to help, you can set up a temporary kennel in just a few minutes.
Determine where you will place the kennel and how big to make it. Decide which side you want to have the gate section. The length of the chain-link panels you use depends on the size of your dog and how much space you have available to place the kennel. Raise two panels and place them end-to-end to form a corner. Have your assistants hold them in place.
Attach the panels using two saddle clamps and carriage bolts. The size clamps and bolts you need depend on the diameter of the chain-link panel supports. Saddle clamps look similar to a wavy letter “M” and come together to form two circles. Each circle goes around the support pole of the chain-link panel. Put the clamps in place and secure with a carriage bolt and wrench. Repeat with the other panels, including the gate panel.
Place a doghouse inside the kennel to provide mom and her pups a cozy area to get away from the elements. If a doghouse is not available, place the kennel in an area where there is shade from an overhang or tree.
Items You Will Need
- Three chain-link fencing panels
- One chain-link panel with a built-in gate
- Eight saddle clamps
- Eight carriage bolts
- Doghouse (optional)
- For small dogs, a children’s portable play yard offers a cheaper and easier alternative.
- Provide fresh water for mom and the pups at all times.
- Do not leave mom and her new pups outside in cold or wet weather or for extended periods. Young puppies are not able to regulate their body temperatures well, and long-term exposure to elements can pose a health risk.
- Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images