Added to soap, shampoo and lotion, natural oatmeal helps to relieves symptoms of dry, itchy skin. Many people use it in shampoo, and even dogs with chronic skin problems, mild or serious, can enjoy its benefits. An oatmeal shampoo is gentle enough to use every time your precious pooch needs bathed.
Grind 1 cup of oatmeal in your food processor or blender to make a fine oat flour or powder. Add it to 1 cup of baking soda or 1/2 cup of liquid Castile soap -- an organic vegetable fat cleanser -- and 1 quart of warm water in a container with a tight lid. Shake well to mix the ingredients. Use them immediately on your dog. Leave the mixture on for at least five minutes before rinsing your dog's fur thoroughly.
Shampoo With Carrier Oils
Add 1/2 ounce of pure Neem oil -- made from the Indian Neem tree -- to 8 ounces of your oatmeal shampoo. This substance naturally repels ticks and fleas with its strong odor. Or add the same amount of coconut, sweet almond, jojoba or olive oil instead to provide additional moisture to your dog's dry, flaky skin. The mix will with the added benefit of a conditioner and detangler for dogs with long hair.
Shampoo With Aloe Vera
Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of Aloe vera gel or juice -- avoid any commercial combinations that contain alcohol -- to your basic oatmeal shampoo. Aloe vera hydrates irritated, dry skin. It relieves pain from sunburn, which dogs can experience, and soothes skin that suffers from dandruff and dermatitis.
Shampoo With Essential Oils
Add several drops of peppermint or lavender oil to your dog's shampoo to repel fleas and ticks. Lavender and chamomile oil also soothe irritated skiny, and serve in aromatherapy potions to calm nervous or agitated dogs. Peppermint and ginger oil can also soothe arthritis pain in older dogs.
- Alt Energy Shift: Soothing Homemade Oatmeal-Castile Dog Shampoo
- Clean Eats in the Zoo: Homemade Oatmeal Shampoo for Dry Itchy Skin for Dogs
- Natural News: How to Use Natural Neem Oil for Flea and Tick Control on Dogs
- Off the Grid News: Make Your Own All-Natural Pet Shampoo
- The Natural Beauty Workshop: Making Natural Dog Shampoos and Pet Care Products
- The Dogington Post: Make Your Own Doggie Shampoo
- All Natural Pet Care: Natural Treatment of Allergic (Atopic) Dermatitis in Dogs With Shampoo Recipe
- "National Geographic": Green Living - Making Homemade Organic Shampoo
- Discover Neem: Neem Oil for Dogs
- Nomad Editions: Make It - Time for Bath
- My Herbal Touch: Pets and Essential Oil Therapies
- Natural Dog Health Remedies: Aromatherapy Recipes for Dogs
- Natural Dog Health Remedies: Safe Essential Oils for Dogs
- Naturopathy Cure: Aloe Vera Health Benefits
Lori Lapierre holds a Bachelor of Arts and Science in public relations/communications. For 17 years, she worked for a Fortune 500 company before purchasing a business and starting a family. She is a regular freelancer for "Living Light News," an award-winning national publication. Her past writing experience includes school news reporting, church drama, in-house business articles and a self-published mystery, "Duty Free Murder."