Pine Cone and Pine Straw Poisoning in Dogs

Pine cone
Hemera Technologies/ Images

Pine cones and pine straw can be dangerous for dogs. Pine oils are known toxins for canines, and pet owners need to use care with these materials in their home and yards.

Pine Straw and Cones

Pine cone, straw and needles
Jupiterimages/ Images

Pine cones, straw and needles are less of a poison to dogs and are more dangerous because of their shape.

Digestive Dangers

Digestive Dangers
Comstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images

Cones, straw and needles pose a risk to a dog because of sharp ends and points, which can perforate or puncture the stomach or intestines if eaten by a dog. Because these objects aren't easily digestible, they can cause blockages in the stomach and digestive tract, which may require surgery.

Pine Oil

Pine oil is irritating to dogs
Janie Airey/Lifesize/Getty Images

Pine oil or sap, found in pine needles, is a mild irritant to dogs. According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), if a significant quantity of pine needles are ingested, a dog may experience "gastrointestinal irritation and minor nervous system depression."

Pine Cleaning Products

Pine Cleaning Products
Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

Chemically processed pine oils and essences found in cleaning products, such as disinfectants and sanitizers, are toxic to dogs. Doses as small as 0.5 milliliter per pound of body weight can be fatal. If ingested, symptoms range from mouth irritation (in the mucus membranes) to eye pain, vomiting or retching to muscle weakness and difficulty walking or, in severe cases, coma and death.

If Ingested

Make sure the dog has access to water
Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images

If you suspect your dog has ingested pine oil, pine cleaning products, or pine cones, needles or straw, contact a veterinarian immediately. Make sure the dog has access to water, but do not attempt to induce vomiting, as it can cause additional damage or can worsen symptoms.